Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Korea's Got the Squats

Traditionally, Koreans are professional squatters. A squat is a very comfortable position for many Koreans, and the further you get from the downtown of a major city, the more often you can see it.


These guys, above, are having a smoke break on a hot summer day.


How to Squat:

1) Stand straight, feet should be shoulder length apart.

2) Keep your back as straight as you can and go straight down until your butt is resting on the heals of your feet.

3) Keep your feet flat to the ground.

4) You must be able to comfortably maintain this position for 10-15 minutes.


A little girl imitates her mother's squatting.

Why do Korean people squat?

Well, I suspect it's a combination of many reasons. Korea is traditionally a floor oriented society, so squatting is a useful skill for sitting outside without getting yourself dirty.

I have one guess as to the biggest reason why  Koreans can squat so well to this day.


 It is not uncommon to see these dominating public restrooms across Korea.


And especially if you're a woman... wouldn't squatting be a useful skill?

2 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting post, Chris. ^^ I am not good at squatting, the very reason I avoid floor toilets. Okay, you don't have to know that. LOL Perhaps I should consider your tips on how to squat the Korean way. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha - I can squat, but not well enough to use those darn toilets and definitely not as well as a Korean who sits comfortably! It's possible I'm not the best person to be giving the advice... but I'll wait and see if any Korean friends correct me on the tips. :D

      Delete